Thursday 2 January 2014

Storyline: 7-Alpha-6 - Point:2


New briefings, new missions, always comes with a new skills package too, and in those early days, I didn’t always lose the previous one. I told them all was clear, all blanked but I lied. I hoarded. I retained the knowledge of those earlier times, of the tasks and skills given to me for those early missions. I saved those bits in folders I made and hid. Beyond the reach of the Grid.

Now those keepsakes – I like calling them my keepsakes – lay dormant, inactive, until those times when my cortex fires them into life. They return to me, grey fogged thoughts without clear definition, snapping into other memories or impulses, sometimes confusing the mix. I cope by using the medical supplements they prescribe me. They do help limit the bouts of psychosis, the odd sniffs of paranoia, and the haunting visions and recollections of a life led inside a warped purpose to deny that very same essence in others.

When the Grid hands me another task, I hack into the vessel that someone has selected to make that task easier, the body judged to be the most appropriate or the most suitable. I never ask where the vessels come from, but I report to the Grid if something is wrong afterwards. I care. A sort of post-mission after-care. I think of them as vessels or vehicles – they call them clones or skins and at my low points, I call them carcasses  – empty until I take over, but they may well be others just like me, away elsewhere hacked into someone else, chasing their own mission. Someone could be in my carcass, doing what I do. Would I ever know?

My keepsakes do cause me problems, like too many postcards of places I visited (or may have visited, I don’t know) spilling out of the crude heavy album they are kept in. Scattered keepsakes that need saving, re-inserting, back onto the album pages. My trouble is I hid those folders so well from the Grid, I’m a little hazy recalling where they all are. Maybe that’s from too much critical head trauma when I was in earlier carcasses, running Red Tasks, the tasks I find the hardest.

Perhaps it’s just age – aye, even online in a virtual domain where my personality is a download on the Grid, I do believe I must be degrading somehow. Should I revert to an earlier back-up file perhaps? No, I want this all to end some day, the blessed relief of nothingness, that final sleep into the realm of the dead. Want it some days. Absolute cravings for the final demise after other days I have – those really bad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment