Friday 17 January 2014

Storyline: 7-Alpha-6 - Point: 5


Blue Tasks. The nice quiet observational missions. Just simple surveillance.
Like now, right now. Sitting at a table outside a cafe with a coffee and some really cute biscuits, watching the frontage of a specific building. Waiting and watching.

And drinking coffee.

+ Focus: Ocular performance optimal: Advise end coffee consumption +
Oh, really Angel? Just relax, let me sit back, just let me enjoy this one.

After all, this time last week, I was in a different carcass, running along roads and railway tracks, chasing down some lunatic suicide bomber with 10kg of plastic explosive wrapped around himself. This nice sit-down spy-time relaxation I earned when I caught that maniac and pushed him under that truck. So if I want to drink more coffee, I will.
+ Adjust: caffeine intake high: Task parameters may be affected: Threat Level: Low +

Nope. I’ll order another, just out of spite.
I smile at the rather attractive girl who’s clearing away cups and cake plates, and she smiles back and nods. Within minutes I have a new fresh hot coffee, and a smug petulant feeling.

Not one of the faces I have implanted in my memory has come anywhere near this building. Their faces, pictures of their postures, candid photos even, endlessly cycle back and forth on a screen inside my head, and nothing I see in the street ahead matches with what I can see inside of me.
Blue tasks. Quiet and easy surveillances. And sometimes just slightly dull.

I’m not really agitated, it’s more of an irritable impatient feeling slowly nagging away at me, like some annoying stray cotton thread hanging from a shirt button. I could – I should – just simply ignore it, let the moment pass me by, but I could also pull it, snap that little bastard off. So what if the button pings off...
+ Focus: Task objective: Observe arrival of five suspects +

Angel! Just – shut up!
Focus. I summon a keepsake – a strange projected view of looking at myself, my normal self, sitting at a table outside a cafe, with a coffee, and my mind takes a sliding lurch to the left, upsetting the pictures flashing past my mind’s screen.

And then I’m standing stock still in the middle of a heaving throng of people, all jumping and gyrating, dancing to a tune or some sort of music I cannot hear. I scan that crowd around me, sweating faces and bodies, coloured lights flicking over upraised arms and hands, and I know I need to rouse myself.
+ React: Now: React: Three targets: Arrival noted: React +

A child’s laughter reels me back into my seat, my arm lashes out, and a part-drunk cup of coffee sails away from me to clatter onto the pavement. I am upright, standing – no running – as I sense the disdain, the tuts and the head-shakes around me, as I run, running across the street like I'm chasing mad people again.
Running hard, towards the building I’ve watched for two hours, I see the backs of three people I was supposed to be looking out for.

Blue tasks. Such a doddle. Normally. Repeat fifty times and remember.
Listen to Angel. Listen to Angel.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment